Now there are many good books to get you started, but what I wanted was a simple plan for a real beginner-STEP BY STEP. The books I found went into so much detail about soil and damping off, and how to propagate, knot gardens, formal gardens, planting by color, WAY more information than I wanted, and somewhat intimidating for the real novice.
Plan B: Just ask someone who grows herbs. Again, there are many knowledgeable people out there. Actually very very knowledgeable. They met my questions with questions. What herbs do you want to grow? How do you want to use them? Where will you be planting them? I didn't want to tell them those were the same question I was asking. I had no idea where to start.
And although my first motivation was to use herbs in cooking, I knew that herbs are good for you in so many ways, and have many uses... I wanted to learn more but didn't know where to start.
I was back to square one not knowing what to do. Determined not to get discouraged, armed with my books and the internet, I decided to give it a go. My first year consisted of a few herbs in pots, and although they grew readily, other than looking quite nice on my patio, and getting tossed in few dishes in the kitchen, they didn't get much use.
Over the next fews year, I learned more. And although I am not an expert, I hope I can help someone else get started growing and using herbs. This blog is going to be a plan and journal on a beginners herb garden. I will suggest a few herbs to start in your garden. We will grow them together. We will harvest them together and learn to dry them. But most importantly, we will have a plan on how to use the herbs.
No comments:
Post a Comment