It's time to decide just what to plant in the herb garden. Before that decision is made, we should decide how to use the herbs that are grown. As I was asking others how to get my first herb garden started, they kept asking me - "How are you going to use them?" As my knowledge on herbs was limited, that was a difficult question to answer.
Before I suggest to you what to grow, I would like to list some ways to use herbs. From the list of uses, my garden plan will begin to develop.
I think what comes to mind for most people is the culinary use of herbs. That was certainly my first motivation for having an herb garden. I wanted to cut down on salt in cooking, but I did not want to give up flavor. I was hoping to add flavor with herbs. So first on my list is using herbs in recipes/cooking/baking. Let's make some herbal vinegars. The garden will supply lots of fresh herbs to use throughout the summer as well as extra herbs to dry for next winter.
Along with using herbs in recipes, some of the herbs from my garden can be used for herbal teas. Did you know you can use herbs fresh or dried in your tea?
Infusions, decoctions, tinctures....oh my! Didn't your grandmother have a favorite home remedy? Many herbs are very good for you, and easy to use. How about an herbal salve? Did you know that some herbs are good for your skin? You can use herbs to make herbal baths, herbal lip balm, herbal lotion and other bath products with simple ingredients from your herb garden and your kitchen.
And we cannot forget the herbs used for potpourri, a sachet for our linen closet or drawers.
It's time to start choosing the herbs to grow for the following uses:
Cooking
Herbal Vinegars
Herbed Butters
Herbed Sugars
Herbed Salts
Baking
Herbal Teas/Infusions
Herbal Baths
Lip Balm
Herbal Salve
Potpourri
Linen Mist
Linen Sachet
Poultice
Compress
No comments:
Post a Comment