Now that we know what we want to do with our herbs, we can select the herbs to plant. The herbs we need to complete our list of projects are a variety of common, well known herbs. In the following few posts, we will learn a little more about each herb.
The herbs we will need: Calendula, (even if you don't use Calendula, it is pretty and so easy to grow,) Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Lemon Verbana, (you don't need both- it is up to you), Thyme or Lemon Thyme, Basil, (I use sweet basil), Rosemary, Mint (You can select the variety you prefer.), Lavender, Sage, Dill, Oregano and I'm tossing in Feverfew as an extra that I will be adding to my garden this year. If you like mexican food, you may want to also add cilantro. It is one of my favorites, but I find Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate. I also like it because it's a 2 for 1. You plant your seeds, and harvest the leaves as cilantro. Then you enjoy the pretty white flowers, and when they go to seed, you harvest the seeds as coriander. Bonus!
If this is your first garden, let's keep in mind the cost. We will want to do this economically. Some if not most of our herbs can be planted either in pots or in the ground. One thing they will need is full sun. Think about where you will plant your herbs, or place your pots.
Some of your herbs will fit nicely tucked into your landscaping. Calendula produces pretty yellow and orange flowers. It grows to about 18" - 24" tall. As the flowers open up, we will begin harvesting, the flower heads, but I found that I had plenty of blooms so some were left to just enjoy the color.
If you plan to use pots. Start looking around your house. Think out of the box. See that old pair of boots? Could that be a planter? Search your garage and your basement. When spring hits we all know there is a garage sale on every corner. Keep your garden in mind and shop for bargains.
You also want to watch for sales at your local plant shops, nurseries, home and garden centers. Look for seeds to purchase. We will start some of our herbs from seeds and I will show you an easy way to make newspaper pots. We want to re-use and recycle whenever possible. And don't through away those plastic vinegar bottles! We may need them for a small 'greenhouse'.
No comments:
Post a Comment